Saturday, March 23, 2013

A real life Carrie Bradshaw

Sometimes I am so busy being smitten by others and their sheer awesomeness that I don't realize there are others who feel the same way about me. It takes me aback to receive emails like "I want you to know that you are my  Natalie Spencer and you inspire me so much." When other photographers and writers come to me and say these words, you have no idea how it feels to be part of that community.

Last night, I received an email from someone who is no longer part of our family. It was as if a ghost reached out after four years of silence. You don't even realize the impact you have on some people and especially if they never tell you. I had to share this inspirational email which reminded me I was once in a place of unsure futures and self-doubt.

To those of you who write me, support me, critique me, hate me and love me, I thank you so much for feeling these things and taking the time to make me feel important. The other day a client told me that a friend of hers said I instantly made her feel comfortable at a social gathering. She said that I have a unique ability to do that with everyone I meet. Do you know how nice that is to hear? It's so important to tell people these things...what's the use of keeping this information to yourselves when you can make someone else's day? To the writer of this email, you have no idea your impeccable timing and I do appreciate your heartfelt words and the time it took to write this.

xo


Wendy, I need to tell you, I am so inspired by you. I have read every blog post, and seen every public picture that you have posted over the past couple of years I didn’t know why at first, but I was secretly and religiously reading your blogs, and at times completely overwhelmed by the intensity, honesty, and wisdom in which you write. You are so talented. Your writing is so beautiful, and refreshing, and you have struck so many chords with me. You’re like my real-life, modern day Carrrie Bradshaw. You make me think about things that I never would have, and look at them from such an honest and powerful point of view. I look up to you. I have found inspiration and guidance from you, without you even knowing you were giving it. Your pictures bleed heart, and soul. Your booming business and endless referrals should be a constant reminder that you are exactly where you’re supposed to be.


I know I’m taking a risk of sounding like a total creeper here, but I figure really, I have little to lose. I recently read back our message stream on facebook (I don’t deleted anything, super weird I know), which is how I was reminded of how lovely you were to me, and how stupid I was. But in that thread, you did pour your heart out to me, and spoke of being lost, and unsure of where you were heading in your life. To quote you: “I'm just so down on myself and never find anything I'm good at or talented at. but then every once in awhile friends come to me for advice and I give them my whole hearted attention and advice, and I sometimes wonder..maybe that's my hidden talent.” You have found your hidden talent, girl. In capturing so many special moments, writing about them, speaking of your own life lessons, and creating hope for those that often feel lost. I am 100% sure I am not the only one. It’s no wonder why you have so many amazing friends and people in your life, your energy is infectious.


I work in the wedding industry as well, I’m an event coordinator for a venue in downtown Vancouver. I work alongside wedding photographers a few times a weekend, and of course see a ton of wedding photos. Yours continue to be some of my favourites, your work is consistent and often off the beaten path. You take risks, and the results are breathtaking. I feel like I know what I’m talking about when I say your talent is apparent in every ounce of your work. 


Your story gives me great amount of pleasure, inspiration, and dare I say it-makes me so proud. Thank you for what you share on your blog, and through your photos. Thank you for reminding me that things get better, and can be amazing if you follow your dreams and take leaps.  Congratulations for the success you’ve found in your life. You and Michael make an extraordinarily beautiful couple.  


I think of your family on the regular, and though we’re no longer in touch, they are still so dear to me. I feel blessed to have met you all, and can now see the role that each of you has played in my life.


Again Wendy, thank you. Keep fucking rocking the industry, and should you ever find yourself wanting to shoot in Vancouver, I would have a lineup of couples for you.  


1 comment:

  1. It was important to me to share that with you,I mean every word. I'm so happy to hear that it came with good timing xo

    ReplyDelete