Sunday, August 12, 2012

Conviction. Live with it.



I got to talking with a friend about why it bothered her so much that an ex removed her off of Facebook. I mean other than the fact that the cardinal sin of this century is to delete them, what exactly is it about this social media phenomenon that irks us so badly? She said to me....think about it. Facebook is exactly that. A book of faces. And when you take the time to remove someone, you literally do not want to see their face ever again. Or so it would seem.

Last night, a group of friends got together to celebrate my birthday. One friend hosted the pre-party, another drove, another came with thoughtful and beautiful gifts and made the best slumber party sleepover ever, others booked time off work and when I showed up to the bar, I was surprised by a huge group of friends and clients who were able to pull off a secret that they had all planned. I was so confused, mystified and elated that we were all there. Together. For me.

A series of recent circumstances has allowed me to reflect on myself, my friends, my flaws, my assets, my fortunes and misfortunes. I realized that who you surround yourself with is a direct reflection on your image, brand, morals and self. I also realized to have a friend you have to be a friend. You can't replace one with another immediately after a fall out. You can't use them for what they can do for you. You can't listen to their secrets and then later throw that in their face.

At the bar last night I got into a deep conversation with an old friend who's husband destroyed their marriage. We started to talk about mutual friends and just how she realized who was truly there for her. Whatever happened to living a life with conviction? For saying what you mean and not being afraid to walk a social tightrope? For picking a side or getting involved when others hide behind the ambivalence of the saying "I'm not getting involved." We keep these people on Facebook and are constantly irritated for their laissez-faire actions, but in real life, where the hell are they? Why see someone's face on the internet when in real life they bite the hand that feeds them?  For so long I have been asking myself...is it just me? Or has the world gone crazy? And then I realize...there is one of me in every group asking the very same questions, shaking our heads and agreeing about what does and definitely does NOT constitute friendship and loyalty. I told this friend, if I ever saw this scumbag, he would hear it from me. It doesn't directly involve me. But her feelings do. And I want her to know I'm there for her. 

And I am. I'm there for the rare few that deserve my heart and my time. And every once in a while, in the middle of an ordinary birthday, 23 people show up to make it anything but. Thank you for being normal and good hearted people and reminding me that where I came from and who I grew up with is a great place to be and be around.

Love you all!

p.s. I've kept this blog mostly business but every once in awhile, I think it's important to share personal triumphs, sadness and of course accompany it with photos. 

















































































No comments:

Post a Comment